What members should know about the orchestra
- Regular weekly rehearsals are Mondays from 7:00 to 9:30 pm, usually at Oak Grove School. Alternative locations are announced as needed (school holidays, snow days, and when other instruments are needed).
- Dress rehearsals are usually the Thursday before the concert weekend, location varies.
- Please bring a music stand, music and pencil to all rehearsals.
- Please stay informed of when and where rehearsals are scheduled using the up-to-date schedule (including inclement weather cancellations) available in the member info section of our website.
- We encourage orchestra members to attend all rehearsals. Please remember that your participation is vital for the orchestra as a whole. We strive to be a community of players, not a pick-up orchestra.
- If you must be absent from any rehearsal, e-mail your section manager in advance. A plan for day-of-rehearsal absence notification is being developed, stay tuned.
- Snow Days: On occasion, orchestra rehearsals are cancelled because of inclement weather. We will send you an email notification in the case of a cancellation. If the rehearsal is not cancelled, please use your best judgement to determine whether you can attend rehearsal safely.
- In general, music is distributed at the first rehearsal of each rehearsal series. Music is usually available in advance of the first rehearsal from librarian Frank Kotkov.
- You must sign out your music folder and parts for each concert cycle.
- Please return all music, including xerox copies, backstage after the last concert of each concert cycle.
- You are responsible for your parts and will be charged for any fines and replacement costs incurred if your parts are returned late or lost.
- We encourage orchestra members to make an annual donation of $75 or greater, 100% of which will go to the Windham Orchestra. This donation is counted as a charitable donation to the BMC, a 501(c)(3) organization.
- Make your check payable to Brattleboro Music Center, with “Windham Orchestra” on the memo line. Any amount is accepted, and we are especially grateful to those who give more.
- The Orchestra functions through the generous volunteer efforts of its members. Everyone has more than one opportunity per year to volunteer for the Orchestra’s success and growth. Please be as generous as possible with your time and skills.
- We find it most efficient to communicate by e-mail.
- Please respond to the e-mails that we send you so that we do not have to spend time e-mailing you again or calling you. If you do not have e-mail, please arrange for a stand-partner or other section member to keep you informed
- The orchestra is governed by the executive committee. Please contact us with questions and concerns.
VISITORS TO REHEARSALS
- We gather to rehearse and prepare for performances, and we have a lot to accomplish in the short time we are together. We encourage and welcome audience and community members as observers at our rehearsals. We request that you follow these guidelines so that our rehearsals will be as efficient and productive for us as possible:
- Find a seat that is well out of the way.
- Do not interrupt the rehearsal. Please respect our time and space.